Got a weekend with your Soldier? Or simply local and looking for some weekend fun and relaxation? Make some great memories in Houston…Houston, Missouri, that is!
Some of you may be saying ‘where is that’? Don’t worry, it isn’t a lengthy trip! Houston is located in the Fort Leonard Wood Region and makes an amazing getaway, especially for those who enjoy or want to explore the outdoors. Not sure what to do or where to start when considering exploring this part of our region? That’s ok – we have you covered!
The trails system that is found throughout Houston is one of the better trail systems within the Ozarks! On top of that having access to the many miles of hiking trails that the Mark Twain National Forest makes Houston an outdoor runners paradise.
Add the amazing Hunting and Fishing that is available with the State’s largest Trout Fishing Park and the Piney River the opportunities for those outdoor hunting and fishing enthusiasts’ rivals anywhere else across the region and even the State.
You will experience the Mark Twain National Forest and the beautiful outdoor activities it provides. Montauk State Park the State’s largest Trout Park, home to the Sportsman Club Shooting Range which hosts national shooting competitions. Also, home to the 2020 Best Craft Beer in Missouri Piney River Brewery.
Here is our full weekend itinerary for a weekend around Houston, Missouri.
- Grab some kayaks or canoes and spend a few hours floating the Piney River. Check out Boiling Springs Resort.
- Head into Houston to enjoy lunch at the Savor Grill & BBQ
- Get back outside and enjoy the hundreds of miles of trails in the Mark Twain National Forest or enjoy some of the shops and boutiques in Houston including Shop Pretty Boutique, Little House Gifts and More, and Dry Creek Marketplace.
- Plan to spend a few hours in the evening at the Piney River Brewery. You can grab pizza for dinner and enjoy some yard games or just catch up with friends on their deck or inside at the beautiful communal tables.
Feeling adventurous? Make plans to camp in the forest or other area campsites on Saturday night or check out hotels available in Houston.
- Start your Sunday morning off right with breakfast at the Whispering Pines Café,
- Head out for some excellent fishing in the Piney River Narrows State Natural Area, and do some exploring while you’re in the area.
- For lunch, consider packing your own picnic or head back into town to try The Eatin Place.
- Finish off the weekend by playing a round of golf at the Oakwood Golf Course, or consider pampering yourself with a massage at Blissful Nirvana Massage.
Need gear for this weekend? For those who are military-connected, visit the Fort Leonard Wood MWR Outdoor Recreation office to borrow things like tents, kayaks, etc. They can provide this equipment to you and also provide you some tips on being outdoors in the region.
One of the best things about the Fort Leonard Wood Region is that there are hidden gems all over the area. Taking some time to explore the region, meet the people, and try something new will create wonderful memories for years to come!